Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Debt - Repay Money That was Gifted to Me?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by DOT, 19 December 2016.

Tags:
  1. DOT

DOT Member

My ex gave me 14K in the time we were together to pay off some debts. Now we've broken up, he's threatening to sue me if I don't give the money back. I never signed anything and at the time took it because I thought we had a future together and eventually would share the same bank account anyway.

The whole time we were together, I cooked, cleaned, washed, and looked after his property and animals while he was away working during the week. I didn't sign anything to say I would repay the debt.

He knows I cannot pay him back the whole lump sum. Do I legally have to give it back to him? It felt very uncomfortable at the time taking it but he nagged me until I caved.

2. Sophea

Sophea Guest

If there was no understanding and arrangement that the money was to be loaned to you, then it's a gift. If he tried to sue you for it he would have to prove it was a loan that you agreed to and there were loan terms including an agreement to repay the money within a specified time and by specified means.

How long were you together? Were you married? And how long have you been separated?

3. Emge

Emge Active Member

Prima facie - no, you will not need to repay the money. I would not worry about it and call his bluff re taking legal action, he will be hard pressed to find a lawyer willing to take the case IMHO.