QLD Debt - Repay Money That was Gifted to Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DOT

19 December 2016
My ex gave me 14K in the time we were together to pay off some debts. Now we've broken up, he's threatening to sue me if I don't give the money back. I never signed anything and at the time took it because I thought we had a future together and eventually would share the same bank account anyway.

The whole time we were together, I cooked, cleaned, washed, and looked after his property and animals while he was away working during the week. I didn't sign anything to say I would repay the debt.

He knows I cannot pay him back the whole lump sum. Do I legally have to give it back to him? It felt very uncomfortable at the time taking it but he nagged me until I caved.

S

Sophea

If there was no understanding and arrangement that the money was to be loaned to you, then it's a gift. If he tried to sue you for it he would have to prove it was a loan that you agreed to and there were loan terms including an agreement to repay the money within a specified time and by specified means.

How long were you together? Were you married? And how long have you been separated?

Emge

12 December 2016
Prima facie - no, you will not need to repay the money. I would not worry about it and call his bluff re taking legal action, he will be hard pressed to find a lawyer willing to take the case IMHO.

Emmafal

23 June 2019
Hi my ex had transferred me 35k during our 4 year de facto relationship, which I used to buy stocks, pay our living expenses, pay debts etc. Now after we have separated she wants the money back saying its contribution to my stocks. She has also used our visa application statements where I have stated we have joint investment although none of our investments are in joint name. The visa application statements were made up and was rejected because she was found using false information. Do I have to return the money?