QLD De Facto Split - Reimbursement for Cancelled Airline Tickets?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah1

9 April 2015
A large sum of money was sent by me to my son and his de facto partner for tickets to attend a family wedding. The relationship has suddenly ended. The tickets were cancelled without prior discussion or notification with me or my son. I would like the money to be returned to me for the tickets. Do I have a legal case to pursue the return of the money?

S

Sophea

Hi Sarah1,
There is a legal principle called unjust enrichment which may be of use to you here. It is based on the premise that one party should not be unjustly benefitted at the other party's expense. This arises for example in situations where there has been a failure of consideration - i.e. a person has paid for something that has not come to fruition. I haven't dealt with this area of law for a long time, so another forum member may have a better idea about equitable or common law remedies available to you.

As with outstanding debts, i'd say the best place to start is write a formal letter to your son and his ex requesting repayment of the money. If they are not forthcoming, send another threatening legal action (if that's the route you wish to go). If still no payment, seek a lawyer's advice.