VIC Dangerous car park

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam4472

28 September 2022
My apartment car park is a descending spiral and the upper most turn is incredibly difficult, especially when exiting. Even for a compact sedan that particular turn requires multiple steps and requires you to get your passenger side (where it is harder to judge distance) extremely close to two other parked cars. Otherwise you will scrape the corner on the driver's side. The turn is also difficult when entering but more so when exiting.

About those two cars you need to get extremely close to: the car park wasn't designed for those spaces and you can still see the yellow paint on the floor from when that section was strictly no parking because it's vital turning space. Two lots were just painted directly over the top of it. These lots have presumably since been sold and are now privately owned.

I paid for my parking lot as part of the unit price. The existence of the two added lots at the top make it dangerous for almost of us to exit, and to a lesser degree enter the garage when both cars are parked there.

Beside padding on the corners, no safety features (ie: mirrors) have been added.

Do I have a case to make that the owner's corporation or building management bear any responsibility for damage that might occur to my car or the parked cars when attempting to make this turn?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do I have a case to make that the owner's corporation or building management bear any responsibility for damage that might occur to my car or the parked cars when attempting to make this turn?
No