NSW Dance academy non refund of credit on statement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dancemum

3 December 2023
I have recently withdrawn my children from a dance academy in NSW who have a policy not to refund any credit that you have paid to your account if you close your account with them.
I always paid ahead so that tuition was never in question, however, my child ended up deciding not to proceed with end of year lessons and concert participation, due in part to his autism & anxiety.
I now have a small credit amount on our statement of $350 that they will not return to me due to their policy.
I feel like this can't be right. Regardless of their policy, if you pay someone funds for a service that you no longer intend to use, and the amount on the statement reads (Credit) how can they legally keep those funds?
Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
They can keep the money because
that's what you agreed to when you signed up.
Given that the term was both express, and that you agreed to it,
why do you you think it somehow doesn't apply
purely because of a change of mind on your part?

AnnaPa90

20 December 2023
Hi,

Payment-in-advance is slightly murky and is dependent upon the contract you signed when you signed your child up to the dance studio.

However, I’m saying this, it does seem discriminatory for the studio to have a blanket policy on this issue; as it doesn’t take into account, and isn’t flexible regarding, disability (as you mentioned).

If I were in this situation, my next actions would depend on how much credit I had with the business.

I think sending them an email, mentioning your child’s disability as the reason for their withdrawal from classes, and mentioning that a full blanket-ban policy on credit refunds is discriminatory toward those that can no longer participate due to disability, would be enough to urge them to issue you a refund.