QLD Criminal Record from 13 Years Ago - National Police Check?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tommaki

1 February 2016
I had a criminal record 13 years ago.I stole in Kmart. Now I am seeking the a full-time job. The employer needs a national police check. Should I say yes? Or has my criminal record been spent and I should answer no?

Thanks.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
I think it is important to mention unless you received a spent conviction. You can turn it around and say - when I was young I did something not right and got caught but have changed my life for the better etc.

S

Sophea

Hi Tommaki,

As the theft offence is more than 10 years old it will be a spent conviction and therefore will not appear on the National Police Check obtained by your prospective employer. However if the employment application form asks whether you have any prior convictions, you are still required to answer honestly. It will depend how the question is worded as to whether or not you need to fess up about it from a legal perspective. But from a moral perspective its up to you.

Tommaki

1 February 2016
Sophea, 1 more questions, please. I had a criminal record 13 years ago when I was 36 years old. How about if I interview in Melbourne? Will it appear when they check my QLD driving license?