QLD Cooling off period purchace at shopping center

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dannic

26 August 2019
Hi - My mother was at a shopping center where they were selling beds in the center court. She paid a deposit for a bed to be delivered with the balance to be paid on delivery. What I am hoping for someone to inform me if there is a cooling off period for her order. She has changed her mind and wants to cancel the order.

cheers Dannic

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Not unless the seller has agreed to give one. Cooling off periods mandatorily apply in some types of specific sales, but not generally. Unless the seller has given one in its purchase agreement, there won’t be one in this case. The best that can be hoped for is to cancel the order and possibly get some of the deposit back. In most instances the seller will take all of the deposit as their compensation for the trouble gone to.

dannic

26 August 2019
Not unless the seller has agreed to give one. Cooling off periods mandatorily apply in some types of specific sales, but not generally. Unless the seller has given one in its purchase agreement, there won’t be one in this case. The best that can be hoped for is to cancel the order and possibly get some of the deposit back. In most instances the seller will take all of the deposit as their compensation for the trouble gone to.
Thank you for your reply Rob. No cooling off period was mentioned and now looking at the invoice there is a cancellation fee of 20% which I think is a little steep. I suppose with no cooling off period mum has no choice but to pay the fee. Thank you again. Cheers