VIC Contract Law assigment question help

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

adav6638

15 December 2023
Can I please have help for a contract law question I'm stumped over...

Steven owns a scallop fishing boat and leases it to his cousin Danny for $20,000 per year for 10 years in 2017 to 2027.
After 3 years of fishing, Danny realizes the scallops populations have dropped affecting his income and after negotiation, Steven decides to drop the yearly fee to $10,000 although they don't sign on it.

Another 3 years later, the scallops seem to have a population explosion and Danny tells Steven that he can afford the $20,000 yearly fees again. Steven agrees and then says he will also need the $30,000 he didn't get the past 3 years.

Does Danny need to pay him the $30 000?

It isn't just a yes or no question but the correct terms need to be applied, i.e. using the IRAC method, what rules/legislation is relevant?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This is a contract question - common law applies to contracts. And equity comes into play.

Read the UK High Trees case from 1947 and post back here what you learnt.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Sorry, but we won't write you essay for you.
IRAC the facts you have.
Then look to the elements of a contract,
and work your way through which is which
in the scenario you have.

As to High Trees, start by consulting a legal dictionary
for the concept called promissory estoppel.
And, you may find this of interest.

adav6638

15 December 2023
Thank you for the replies they are very helpful.
Honestly it is not an essay question or homework but rather the question I completed for a 10% worth proctored test for my contract law unit online right before posting this for help and am relieved my answers are quite similar to the High Trees case which I did not know about previously.
I also did mention promissory estoppel in my answer. Looking forward to the final exam, and I will invest in a legal dictionary.
Thanks.

Sorry, but we won't write you essay for you.
IRAC the facts you have.
Then look to the elements of a contract,
and work your way through which is which
in the scenario you have.

As to High Trees, start by consulting a legal dictionary
for the concept called promissory estoppel.
And, you may find this of interest.