SA Contesting a Will and Caveat

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Donna2874

26 June 2015
My step father passed away and in his will has given $10,000 to all step and biological children equally and what is left to my mother, his wife. His biological daughter is contesting the will and has now apparently put a caveat on property that my step father lived but the property is owned by my sister alone.

How can contesting a will and putting on a caveat happen? And would it hold up?

S

Sophea

Hi there, a family provision application can be brought by a child or step child of the deceased who wishes to seek a share of the estate, or a larger share of the estate, because the deceased person has failed to make ‘adequate provision’ for the child's ‘proper maintenance and support.’

There are a number of things a court will take into account when determining whether the application should be approved, including.
  • the nature of the relationship between the child and the deceased
  • any responsibility of the deceased toward the child
  • the size of the deceased’s estate ;
  • the financial resources and financial needs of the child or any other beneficiary;
  • any physical, intellectual or mental disability of the child or any other beneficiary
  • any contribution by the child to the acquisition, conservation and improvement of the estate or the welfare of the deceased
  • any gifts or provisions made to the child by the deceased while alive
  • whether the child was financially dependant on the deceased while alive
  • character and conduct of the child before and after the deceased’s death;
Its difficult to say without a detailed knowledge of the circumstances whether or not your sister's claim will be successful.