Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

SA Contesting a Will and Caveat

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Donna2874, 26 June 2015.

1. Donna2874

Donna2874 Member

My step father passed away and in his will has given $10,000 to all step and biological children equally and what is left to my mother, his wife. His biological daughter is contesting the will and has now apparently put a caveat on property that my step father lived but the property is owned by my sister alone.

How can contesting a will and putting on a caveat happen? And would it hold up?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi there, a family provision application can be brought by a child or step child of the deceased who wishes to seek a share of the estate, or a larger share of the estate, because the deceased person has failed to make ‘adequate provision’ for the child's ‘proper maintenance and support.’

There are a number of things a court will take into account when determining whether the application should be approved, including.
    • the nature of the relationship between the child and the deceased
    • any responsibility of the deceased toward the child
    • the size of the deceased’s estate ;
    • the financial resources and financial needs of the child or any other beneficiary;
    • any physical, intellectual or mental disability of the child or any other beneficiary
    • any contribution by the child to the acquisition, conservation and improvement of the estate or the welfare of the deceased
    • any gifts or provisions made to the child by the deceased while alive
    • whether the child was financially dependant on the deceased while alive
    • character and conduct of the child before and after the deceased’s death;
    Its difficult to say without a detailed knowledge of the circumstances whether or not your sister's claim will be successful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...