VIC Consequences to DHS Case Manager Breaching Privacy Laws?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sal1

24 June 2016
Are there any consequences if a DHS case manager breaches privacy laws?

A case manager has provided my mobile phone details to my granddaughter's carer with instructions to text or call me. I have not had any conversation or signed a release of information providing permission to share any of my details.

Thanks in advance (the carer has messaged me 3 times).

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I'm not sure you have provided enough information to answer. Were you the child's primary caregiver prior to DHS being involved? Had you expressly told the DHS case manager to withhold your number from your grandchild?

My understanding is that the DHS case manager is to help the child or youth to normalise their life and minimise the likelihood of reoffending. So I guess if you didn't want your grandchild to contact you, you probably needed to express that when you provided DHS with your number. They were most likely trying to do what they thought was in the best interest of your grandchild. Perhaps you should call DHS and raise the issue for them to resolve.