SA Acquisition of Information Without Permission - Breach of Privacy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hannahw

21 July 2016
A colleague at work obtained information from my mobile phone without my permission. Having shown this colleague a photo on my phone relevant to her work, I then had to leave the room. Said colleague proceeded to scroll through my phone and take screen shots of a private conversation with another colleague and has proceeded to post these screen shots on Facebook.

Where do I stand in regards to an act of privacy violation and further action?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Privacy is not actionable. However picking up and using your phone without your permission can be a civil offense called 'conversion' or trespass to chattels.

They may also have committed an offence against the SA SUMMARY OFFENCES ACT 1953: SECT 7, SECT 26B or SECT 44 or Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth) s 474.17. But it is highly unlikely the police will do anything as the offence will not appear to be a serious offence by their standards. You can try contacting the police but don't like your chances of them doing anything to help you.

Civil action is under your control, but will cost money to enforce your rights.

What do you want to happen - have the material from Facebook?