NSW Confidentiality document copy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

albie10

26 November 2017
I recently was a support person in an interview and was made to sign a 1 page confidentiality document. I was not given a copy despite asking for it. I am not an employee of this company.
Are they required to give me a copy?
If not I am not aware of the scope of confidentiality so how can I adhere to it?
Is there a legal reference I can use to make the company give me a copy?
If they refuse does that make in null and void as I don't know the content?
Many thanks for your responses.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I was not given a copy despite asking for it. I am not an employee of this company.
Then please explain to me, in what capacity were you there?
Are they required to give me a copy?
Not as such.
If not I am not aware of the scope of confidentiality so how can I adhere to it?
By saying nothing to anyone about what's in it.
Is there a legal reference I can use to make the company give me a copy?
Not as such.
If they refuse does that make in null and void as I don't know the content?
You signed it without reading it?

albie10

26 November 2017
Thanks for your response. I was in the interview as a support person for a friend and was told that I was not allowed to speak. I did rear the 1 page document but cannot remember exact wording or scope of the confidentiality. It was regarding an internal investigation and i know the document stated I was not allowed to discuss the content of the interview. I am aware of other aspects of the investigation which I believe were not referred to in this document. I therefore need to read it again to understand the extent and scope of the confidentiality document I was made to sign. As I was not given a copy, how can I know?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thanks for your response. I was in the interview as a support person for a friend and was told that I was not allowed to speak.
HR pseudo-professionals say that sort of thing as a custom. Don't trouble yourself.
I did read the 1 page document but cannot remember exact wording or scope of the confidentiality.
They will tell you that it's 100% confidential. That's a nonsense.
It was regarding an internal investigation and i know the document stated I was not allowed to discuss the content of the interview.
If you don't work for them, then they don't get to tell you what to do.
I am aware of other aspects of the investigation which I believe were not referred to in this document. I therefore need to read it again to understand the extent and scope of the confidentiality document I was made to sign. As I was not given a copy, how can I know?
You can't.
And if the employer has refused in some way (that is more formal than a phone call (say an email or a letter))
to provide you with a copy, then be it on their own head.