QLD Compulsory masks when have exemption

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dumbo

10 September 2021
If you work for Queensland health, you are forced to wear a mask as per mandate by QLD health. People with exemptions are given the option of either wearing a mask or having to take their own sick or holiday leave until the mask mandate changes. However, the chief health officer stated that now person with an exemption should be forced to wear a mask. Does this constitute discrimination, as these individuals are being medically impacted as well as loss of work and pay if they do not comply? Please help with this and what legislation would cover this issue?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. Please show us a link to what the CHO actually said?
2. No, it's not discrimination.
3. In any event, any claim of exemption would need to have medical support (a certficate etc)

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
2. No, it's not discrimination.
Well, not in terms of whether or not you can work...

(it can be different for refusal of service in a shop, etc)

Dumbo

10 September 2021
If you work for Queensland health, you are forced to wear a mask as per mandate by QLD health. People with exemptions are given the option of either wearing a mask or having to take their own sick or holiday leave until the mask mandate changes. However, the chief health officer stated that now person with an exemption should be forced to wear a mask. Does this constitute discrimination, as these individuals are being medically impacted as well as loss of work and pay if they do not comply? Please help with this and what legislation would cover this issue?
It does have a medical exemption certificate that is on file.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
"On file" won't mean much to the trained ape security person checking you in.
Nor will it mean much to the harried middle manager (say, a NUM)
who just needs people to stop fussing and get to work.

But before you do anything, check what the official position is - first hand.

However, the chief health officer stated that now person with an exemption should be forced to wear a mask
"Should" is not a direction.

Dumbo

10 September 2021
"On file" won't mean much to the trained ape security person checking you in.
Nor will it mean much to the harried middle manager (say, a NUM)
who just needs people to stop fussing and get to work.

But before you do anything, check what the official position is - first hand.

"Should" is not a direction.
it is a direction from Qld Health COAG I will try to obtain a copy it is related to government emergency services. They carry their exemption with them. This came from the HR department compelling them to wear a mask exemption provided or not. Will try to get the direction.

Dumbo

10 September 2021
it is a direction from Qld Health COAG I will try to obtain a copy it is related to government emergency services. They carry their exemption with them. This came from the HR department compelling them to wear a mask exemption provided or not. Will try to get the direction.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
However, the chief health officer stated that now person with an exemption should be forced to wear a mask
I haven't found where the CHO says this yet?

I guess you've now used up all your sick leave?

Are you vaccinated?
Do you have a existing exemption?
Do you have a problem with carrying papers that prove your exemption has been granted?

Dumbo

10 September 2021
I haven't found where the CHO says this yet?

I guess you've now used up all your sick leave?

Are you vaccinated?
Do you have a existing exemption?
Do you have a problem with carrying papers that prove your exemption has been granted?
Yes to all the above, fully vaccinated, carry an exemption, and no have not yet used any sick leave as yet. All that counts for nothing in the eyes of Qld health though, they don't care.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm still waiting to see a first hand report of what the CHO supposedly said...

Seems to me, at least at the moment,
that you're looking for a fight that isn't there.
Or, isn't there yet.