Company request form for deduction of commission.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

chaosengine74

29 July 2020
My employer has just sent me an email to pass on to our staff requesting we sign a document whereas if anyone makes a mistake and sells something below cost etc, the employer can deduct the outstanding amount from our commission. I understand he is entitled to ask, but we are not obligated to sign or give any reason for not signing. He is requesting a reason for employees not signing.

The terms are:

Liability for the mistakes of employees;
Negligence on the part of an employee that leads to; damage and/or loss of company
property, tender mistakes, such as; undercharging a customer or allowing a customer
to take goods out of the store that have not been paid for in full.

2. Misconduct that leads to damage and/or loss of any company property or monies.

3.Reckless behaviour that leads to damage and/or loss of company property or monies.

I have asked the team to follow protocols regarding any mistakes made but also advised to hold off signing anything until I have some more information.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi chaosengine74,

You are right, you do not have to sign such a document - and apart from that, the employer has their own alleged remedies if any of these things occur, as to the loss and damage allegedly caused.

chaosengine74

29 July 2020
Thanks Paul, I advised the teams that they were in no way obliged to sign anything and didn’t have to give any reason for it. I’ve now let them know this is a definite response.

Reactions: Paul Cott

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Even if they signed such a document, it is quite likely:
  1. it cannot be enforced in a court; or
  2. the employee has a cause of action against the employer for underpayment of commissions.

Reactions: chaosengine74