VIC Commercial Law - Commercial Barrister Fees?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Anthony Khalil, 21 July 2019.

1. Anthony Khalil

Anthony Khalil Active Member

I have heard that commercial barristers charge a daily court appearance fee, as well as the hourly rate. So, if I had a matter that went to court for 3 days, would I be charged a daily appearance fee and hourly rate under commercial law? Also, how do I know how many hours are worked on the case outside of court, like for drafting paperwork?

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

1. You won’t get charged both. Appearance fees are for ‘in court’, and will generally be a half day or full day rate. Hourly rates are for outside court.
    2. How long is a piece of string? The best way is to ask for an estimate. An experienced practitioner should be able to give you an idea of what’s likely to be involved.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rod

Rod Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Ask your solicitor. I'd expect at least 0.5 day preparation, maybe a day, for a routine matter. If there are complex areas of law to consider it will be longer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...