QLD Civil Injury Compensation Claim

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rene gallina

12 May 2015
Hello,
I have an active civil injury compensation claim in the southport district court vs the state of qld for injuries sustained (from use of excessive force) in an arrest that was found later (by criminal trial ) to be unwarranted and unlawful. My case has sat at the registry since 2010 when i issued a notice to proceed as i was representing myself. (I was previously represented by a law firm). I was granted "as much time as I want " by the judge and have not been back to court yet as i am still gaining advice for the matter to continue. I have issued all correct affidavits/reports and documents for claim to the other parties (crown law).

I have all doctor reports / medical reports / previous compensation lawyers affidavit of claim submitted successfully although I am not sure if I am ready for trial dates to be set?

What would the next procedures be to continue my claim?

S

Sophea

Have you completed "disclosure" yet? i.e. exchanged all of your evidence with the other parties? You can't go to trial until this has been completed. It is often the most time consuming part of litigation.

I believe you also have to give the other parties one month's notice of your intention to proceed since you haven't taken a step in the action for more than 1 year.

rene gallina

12 May 2015
i have not been through disclosure although the other party has not requested anything. I have been to court since that last post and it was not good. I requested leave to proceed and was not granted that order and was ultimately struck out. I was told that the time limit had expired for what was meant to be done which was a joinder of parties. Linking together the defendants in the claim. I apparently did not complete that task properly. (do you know the procedure ? and how to do it?) So I am now trying to file an appeal in the supreme court ( today) unfortunately.