QLD Child Support & Income changes

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
hello all

my partner has recently convinced child support that she is earning less money even though she has told me she is working more than ever in previous conversations. She is casual, so gets paid for the hours she works.

I feel that is lying about this to child support - or worked out something with her work with some being off the books - is there anything I can do?

thanks for your feedback.

Tremaine

5 February 2019
Not really. If she could earn more money professionally but is choosing not to (like if she was formerly a lawyer and is now waiting tables for peanuts), then you can seek an assessment based on special circumstances of earning capacity, but provided no special circumstances apply, then there isn't a great deal you can do, but child support for each year is based on taxable income for the previous year, so if she's earning more money now than ever, it'll show in her 2019-2020 tax return, which will change your child support for the 2020-2021 financial year.

After her tax return is complete, and if you think she's defrauded the ATO, however, then you can give them a call and make a report, but 'she says she's earning more than ever' doesn't put forth a very convincing case, does it?

Maybe another perspective - she's your ex. My ex used to flip flip about how much he was earning dependent on what our conversation was at the time - if he thought I was struggling, he'd say he was swimming in dosh, but if he thought I was doing well, he'd say he was broke after the break-up. If we'd had kids together and I took everything he said as gospel for child support purposes, I'd go mad.

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
ok thought that might be it
she has been able to prove half way through this fin year that her earnings will be less for this fin year and so it's been adjusted. Nothing to do with last year tax return anymore shes been able to prove this. no idea.
i know she is doing extra hours/days - which she wasn't doing the year previous. whatever. I guess I can only hope people are truthful - ex or not - and then karma comes into it.
thx.