NSW Child support changed jobs

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jon

15 March 2018
Hi,

I’ve changed jobs which has changed my days of work and therefore affects my days with my girls. My ex will not change I’ve gone to relationships Australia to try and she did not attend. What rights do I have as I’m missing out on seeing my girls, I only get them After School on 2 days and only one night now and no weekend time.
Any advice would help

AllForHer

23 July 2014
If ex didn't attend mediation, I assume you received a section 60I certificate from the mediator? If so, your next step is to file an initiating application for parenting orders with the Federal Circuit Court.

You can either hire yourself a lawyer or learn how to self-represent (which is not as daunting as it may sound).

If you and the ex live close enough together and there are no other mitigating circumstances (violence, abuse, neglect, etc.), then the law is in your favour. At a bare minimum, you should be getting every second weekend and half school holidays. At an average, you should be getting five nights a fortnight and half school holidays. As best, you should be getting equal care.

To help you actually get to one of those outcomes, though, we probably need a lot more info about your circumstances.

How old are the kids?

How long have you and ex been separated? What were the care arrangements like throughout separation?

How far apart do you live?

Are there any other mitigating circumstances, like DVOs, criminal convictions, etc?