NSW Charged for Drugs I Never Ordered?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jakeybom

27 February 2017
I have just had a controlled delivery happen at my home of residents where I had a friend who shares the house with me accept a package on my behalf (he signed).

I had gotten home an hour later after my lunch to find out that their is an unknown package for me in my address and name (I wasn't expecting anything). I didn't open it - I wrote RTS on it and later that same day police came and raided my house and now I am being charged for possession of a commercial quantity of drugs which I didn't sign for or take possession of. I clearly wrote RTS because I didn't know this sender. He was from the UK.

Does this seem right, how can I be charged for this?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
The fact that you didn't receive, sign or take possession of the package and wrote return to sender without opening it certainly works to your advantage.

In response to your question - You can still be charged - Perhaps the police have some other forms of corroborating evidence against you, anything would be speculation until reviewing the brief. There's a few other questions that come to mind when reading what you've written. With a charge such as yours, you would need to see a lawyer.

You mentioned the package came from UK yet you've only been charged with possession, no importation?

jakeybom

27 February 2017
They have just done a search of my home, mobile phone and computer and found nothing. I have been charged with possession at the time and now importation too. I literally cannot afford a lawyer. I am only a uni student with a lot of hex fee's with a part time job.

I just think this is crazy I can get charged for something that someone has sent to my house just because it's in my name and I didn't even sign for the package?

This is insane!

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
They have just done a search of my home, mobile phone and computer and found nothing. I have been charged with possession at the time and now importation too. I literally cannot afford a lawyer. I am only a uni student with a lot of hex fee's with a part time job.

I just think this is crazy I can get charged for something that someone has sent to my house just because it's in my name and I didn't even sign for the package?

This is insane!
I can only speculate that they may have other evidence.

I would suggest making contact with legal aid - With charges of importation and possession of commercial quantity and your personal circumstances described above, I'd say you'd qualify.

Reactions: DaleA76

jakeybom

27 February 2017
They don't have any other evidence of anything because I haven't done anything. They've searched all my property and found nothing. They are literally just charging me based on the package that was delivered to my house that I had it inside my home.

What if someone got sent a package and had the same thing happen but they opened the god damn package without knowing and another innocent person gets charged, this is just crazy.. the system is broken.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
First. Have you been formally interviewed and charged?

If not, do not say anything to the police in an interview. They are not your friends. They may twist your answers to give them a different meaning. Only give name address and fingerprints if they request them.

When the paperwork arrives go see legal aid.

Unless the police realise they have made a mistake, which is unlikely, then you are in for a stressful time. Try to keep the stress level as low as you can and just let things take their course. Keep studying at Uni, don't let your studies slip.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
They don't have any other evidence of anything because I haven't done anything. They've searched all my property and found nothing.
This doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have other evidence. As I said, you'll find out what evidence there is against you upon receipt of the brief, in the meantime, visit a lawyer.

Reactions: DaleA76

jakeybom

27 February 2017
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. The charges have been dropped due to lack of evidence. Thanks a lot, hope this sort of thing doesn't happen again, apparently if it does I will be getting charged.

Seems crazy like if someone is trying to frame me this could ruin me.

Cheers

Thanks