VIC Changing mind on a houseshare

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AmonDuul2

19 June 2017
Hi

Just after some general advice if people have had previous experience with something like this.

I started looking for a place on flatmates.com in May/early June. Went to an inspection where I liked the place, I said to the existing housemates I'm interested. The departing housemate was leaving in early July.

A few days later they say I'm their preferred housemate. I reply that that's 'great news', I'd like to meet with them soon to discuss the details. I meet with them again, they show me the existing lease agreement, a few things have changed in what she tells me. The rent is higher than I expected, but so far this is the best option. We do not sign any docs, both they and I mention we'd like everything in writing soon (as they've had issues with verbal agreements in the past), but they have the impression I'm their new housemate.

A few days later, another place comes up on flatmates.com that's a much better match for me. I go to the inspection and become their preferred housemate. I message the housemates of the first place and apologise, saying that the second place is a better match, and that I had not known about it at the time. They still have two weeks before the departing housemate departs and I assume they have plenty of other people interested in the place.

They are (quite reasonably) very annoyed, and are potentially going to pursue action.

Although it's unfortunate for them to have to seek an alternative housemate when they thought they'd secured one, given that I hadn't signed any docs, and the departing housemate is still there for another two weeks, am I wrong to think they can't pursue action? I accept it's poor form, but it's a large decision for myself that I want to get right, even if it might cause the first set of housemates (who were a nice bunch of people) some consternation?

I am willing to compensate them 1 weeks rent on the place if they get nasty, but I'm wondering what the deal is legally?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Doesn't sound like a contract has been formed due to the insistence of requiring an agreement in writing.