VIC cctv stills taken and in security office

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
24 October 2022
hi.
me and my friend (both under 18) shoplifted from kmart recently. it was not a one-off event. we have both come to our senses and realised it was stupid and not worth the chance of having a record, and have stopped since these events, however a person we know have informed us that there are images of us up in the security office as we had stolen goods.
we do not know the date, and i may have been in school uniform. will they send this to my school or anything?
does anyone know what will happen with these? will they stop us from entering the store? we have decided to avoid the store for a long time, however it is local to me. will they show police, and do we run a risk of being pulled up for this at any time?
i am fully expecting to face whatever consequences they give me and i know i've messed up, however i would like to be prepared and know what to expect, if i should expect anything.
thank you for any replies.

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear creamsandcookies,

A range of things may be possible:
1. The store has a picture of you all and stop or otherwise deal with you if you try to enter the store.
2. The store may distribute picture of you all to their associated stores.
3. A police report is filed and if the police believes there is enough evidence they may press charge, however 10-18 Years old police have special requirements - they may caution, demand return of stolen items etc instead of a charge.

Send said picture to your school - possible but relatively unlikely. Could be risky/illegal.

If you are worried consider giving a confidential call to youth law legal services help. Young people and the law | Victoria Legal Aid

Good luck!

-Nighthelyn

MDaB

10 November 2022
It is done. Learn from your mistake, move on and stop worrying about it.
The images are for the LPOs and are there so different LPOs know to monitor you closely, when in the store.
They wont pass on the information, unless you cause more issues or return to the store and commit further offences.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's over.
No matter how much %^&k-waving the trained monkeys security workers do in store,
the store itself doesn't want the grief of calling the cops on a juvenile or two.
Especially for low value thefts that are within the calculations for expected loss.
Get sensible and move on.