VIC caught almost shoplifting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cassia555444

4 October 2023
My friend and I are teenage girls living in australia recently we went to kmart and my friend unpackaged a 10 dollar hair product but then left it before we went to exit the store. A store lady stopped us and asked her where the hair oil is she said she left it then she asked us to get it and we did before she left she asked the name of our school. Can she call the school and can they get us in trouble? we were in uniforms aswell

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Can she call the school and can they get us in trouble? we were in uniforms aswell
  1. You didn't give your names, did you?
    You are far less likely to get into trouble if they don't actually know who you are.
    Two anonymous girls from St Mary of the Rusty Nails
    is less of a problem than "Jane Jones and Sandy Smith".

2. The school itself has no jurisdiction over what you do outside the school (or the school context).
    But yes, they could tell your parents. And the hell-to-pay-you'll get from them
    will be worse than anything the school can do to you.

3. If you didn't actually steal anything, then beyond tampering with a product, there may not even be an offence.

4. Even if Ms Busybody Shop Lady herself makes a fuss,
    overall, the store itself doesn't want the grief of calling the cops on a juvenile or two.
    Especially for low value thefts that are within the calculations for expected loss.
    And even less so for mere tampering with a product, not actually stealing it.

5. Yes, you are exactly as stupid as you feel.

6. Time for a new BFF. This one will get you into trouble, in the end.