VIC Caught Shoplifting - Banned from All Kmart Stores?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
20 January 2018
I got caught shoplifting in a Kmart store in Victoria. I gave back the item and they took a photo of me and I had to fill out a few papers as to why I did it.

They said I was banned from every Kmart store for a year but they didn't state whether it was Australia wide or just the state of Victoria.

if anyone knows anyone who this has happened to or if it has happened to one of you, help would be greatly appreciated.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
'Every Kmart store' is pretty clear - they mean every, single one.

You're lucky you weren't charged with a criminal offence.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I think it will be hard to monitor you that you go to different stores, but if you do, do not shop lift, otherwise, then you will be in a problem and if caught in other store, then they will report you to police,
i think the reason they did not report you to police: the items were returned, the value is not material, going through the police will be a costly method and time, so they took the most reasonable method which stops you from going to their store, thus protecting their items and profit, but if caught again, no matter which store, then you are in trouble.

Just do not do it, will be a better choice.

piano0011

6 August 2018
I am new here to this forum and I can't seem to find a button to create a new post! I have been banned from a coles' store because I added a person on facebook. I thought that she liked me and I wanted to befriend her. I saw her name on her name tag and added her on facebook but asked nicely if I could add her. I was surprised to find out that she spoke with her supervisor and I got banned for a year!

Jack23

13 December 2018
Hi Chelsea,

I have been stuck with the same situation. They asked me to sign to a form saying I am banned from kmart. But I forgot one of my items bcos of a phone call. Did you get any criminal record or notice from kmart or police.

Please help me..
Thanks

Reactions: Save_me79

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi Chelsea,

I have been stuck with the same situation. They asked me to sign to a form saying I am banned from kmart. But I forgot one of my items bcos of a phone call. Did you get any criminal record or notice from kmart or police.

Please help me..
Thanks

If the police were not called at the time you were caught, then it means Kmart want to settle this between you and them, all they want and need is to prevent shoplifting, it may the value of the items you took is not significant and they got them back (right?) so they don't want to get the police involved in a petty theft (and they got their items back), this is a warning to you and should be taken seriously, and also appreciate this as the police were not involved. This means you don't have a criminal record or any type of record within the formal systems, all you have is with Kmart and it will not affect you in anyway unless you return to Kmart before the period has ended, and although you may go to other Kmart and they may not notice you but you chances of someone from the Kmart (you were caught in) was working there and recognised you, they can call the police.
So take this warning seriously and don't go to Kmart and never ever shoplift, not worth the hassle!

Reactions: Jack23

Jack23

13 December 2018
Thanks mate... But the guy who stopped me had a wallet with emblem in it and he said that this is not going to police and there won't be a criminal record... He said should not come to kmart for another year... He was not in police dress... The value of the item was 15$ and I gave it back...

Jack23

13 December 2018
If the police were not called at the time you were caught, then it means Kmart want to settle this between you and them, all they want and need is to prevent shoplifting, it may the value of the items you took is not significant and they got them back (right?) so they don't want to get the police involved in a petty theft (and they got their items back), this is a warning to you and should be taken seriously, and also appreciate this as the police were not involved. This means you don't have a criminal record or any type of record within the formal systems, all you have is with Kmart and it will not affect you in anyway unless you return to Kmart before the period has ended, and although you may go to other Kmart and they may not notice you but you chances of someone from the Kmart (you were caught in) was working there and recognised you, they can call the police.
So take this warning seriously and don't go to Kmart and never ever shoplift, not worth the hassle!

Thanks mate... But the guy who stopped me had a wallet with emblem in it and he said that this is not going to police and there won't be a criminal record... He said should not come to kmart for another year... He was not in police dress... The value of the item was 15$ and I gave it back...

#75 minutes ago

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi i need your help what is mean of trespass for 12 months at kmart?

First I am not a lawyer, second, I never went through an experience of shoplifting. I am answering based on what I read and heard, it is better to chat to a lawyer for better advice, so my answer is from my understanding and may not be complete, as I understand it means that you are not allowed to go to Kmart for 12 months. If you do, then you will be charged.