VIC Caught Shoplifting at Sephora

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nyongtory

17 June 2017
Hi everyone,

I am so scared right now and I don't know how I can do. Could you guys here if any take just little of your time to answer me?

Today I get caught shoplifting at Sephora and I had a serious conversation with a security man. I swear this is my first time ever and I don't know why I did that. The security man said that this time is a warning and my only chance. As follows, I am not allowed to trespass any physical stores anywhere. I did not have to sign any paperwork. He didn't call the police although he wanted to, he just took my picture as a record. He said that all of my information will be private and only use in Sephora system since he wants to make sure that I'll never go to their store. My question is: Is there any further actions affecting my current visa and the future visa application with this case (since I'm an international student). Thought the security guy said that he wouldn't make any black records or call the police, my body is still shaking. Can you help me to answer this question, please? What should I do now to make it better for my future visa application?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Nyongtory,
Don't do anything. Stay away from Sephora, but don't do anything else. There is no effect to your visa because you don't have a conviction. Look this sort of thing happens all the time. The security guard isn't a police officer, so what ever he recorded is just for their records. His job was to scare you so you don't do it again. It sounds like it worked. If you try to do anything to help with your future visa applications it wont help. So be thankful he didn't call the police. Put it behind you.

Reactions: nyongtory

nyongtory

17 June 2017
Hi Nyongtory,
Don't do anything. Stay away from Sephora, but don't do anything else. There is no effect to your visa because you don't have a conviction. Look this sort of thing happens all the time. The security guard isn't a police officer, so what ever he recorded is just for their records. His job was to scare you so you don't do it again. It sounds like it worked. If you try to do anything to help with your future visa applications it wont help. So be thankful he didn't call the police. Put it behind you.

OMG, thank you for replying my post. I do appreciate it!
However, is there any chance that my generic information and photo would be sent to the Australian Immigration or Police Office? And do you know how long the file of complaint will be lasting?

qarmatian

18 June 2017
As has been said above, you haven't gotten a criminal record from this.

I'd never go back there if I were you, because they might be able to still inform the police if they see you again since they have your details.

nyongtory

17 June 2017
As has been said above, you haven't gotten a criminal record from this.

I'd never go back there if I were you, because they might be able to still inform the police if they see you again since they have your details.
Hi qarmatian,
Although I know that I haven't gotten a criminal record, is there still any risk of bad effect on my future in any circumstances? I definitely never go back there since I'm so embarrassed. Will the Immigration or the Government take deeper check when I apply my future visa and ignore it due to my stupid misttake?

Thanks in advance

qarmatian

18 June 2017
They don't know about it and there's effect.

Even if a person has a minor criminal record it doesn't mean they can't get citizenship. A skilled migration lawyer can draft a persuasive application in those cases, because they should know what to write.

nyongtory

17 June 2017
They don't know about it and there's effect.

Even if a person has a minor criminal record it doesn't mean they can't get citizenship. A skilled migration lawyer can draft a persuasive application in those cases, because they should know what to write.

Does it mean that everything I need do to now is just staying away from Sephora and NEVER shoplifting again? Since it was just a minor case between me and Sephora (which is also what the security guard said to me), so I can put it behind?

Once again, thank you for replying me

nyongtory

17 June 2017
Hi Nyongtory,
Thank you for replying my post.

However, I still have some questions:
1. Is there any chance that my generic information and photo would be sent to the Australian Immigration or Police Office? And do you know how long the file of complaint will be lasting?
2. According to what you said, can I understand that everything I need do to now is just staying away from Sephora and NEVER shoplifting again? It was just a minor case between me and Sephora (which is also what the security guard said to me), so I can really put it behind?
3. Is my case considered a criminal record or something like that which I need to disclose in my future application?

Thanks in advance. I do appreciate your time spending on helping me

Lance

31 October 2015
Thank you for replying my post.

However, I still have some questions:
1. Is there any chance that my generic information and photo would be sent to the Australian Immigration or Police Office? And do you know how long the file of complaint will be lasting?
2. According to what you said, can I understand that everything I need do to now is just staying away from Sephora and NEVER shoplifting again? It was just a minor case between me and Sephora (which is also what the security guard said to me), so I can really put it behind?
3. Is my case considered a criminal record or something like that which I need to disclose in my future application?

Thanks in advance. I do appreciate your time spending on helping me

Hi,
1. Its highly unlikely. If they wanted to call the police it would have been far better and easier to prove if they handed you over caught red handed.
2. To be honest it will probably be forgotten in 6 to 12 months but if you can just stay away from Sephora and yes don't shop lift again.
3. No you don't have a criminal record until you have been found guilty of a crime by an Australian Court. You have nothing to disclose.
Its over and done with. Move on and as a famous Australian once said to me 'Enjoy Life' - Peter Brock