VIC Shoplifting Offence - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Simpzy

20 July 2017
Hi,

It's my first and hopefully last time using this forum. I really hope someone could give me good advice. I have never shoplifted in my life. I always buy goods but the other day I was at Sephora and shoplifted a couple of things.

I didn't plan on doing that I just wanted to try how it was done. I paid for a few things I bought and while I was leaving the store and a lady stopped me she said she saw me shoplifting and take off the tags. I kept walking and the security guy held my arm. I told him to leave my hand. The lady showed me tags and said to give it back. I was too shocked and kept walking. It has been 2 days and I haven't heard anything. I am afraid that they will have my bank details and prosecute me.

I am so scared and haven't told anybody about this. I thought I will go back and pay for the goods stolen but read online that they will call cops And prosecute me whereas if I don't go back I might have. I have to get away with this whole thing.

Please guide me as to what to do.

Thanks

Jermy

30 March 2015
hi it's my first and hopefully last time using this forum.i really hope someone could give me good advice.I have never shoplifted in my life . I always buy goods but the other day I was at sephora and shoplifted a couple of things . I didn't plan on doing that I just wanted to try how it was done.i paid for a few things I bought and while I was leaving the store and a lady stopped me she said she saw me shoplifting and take off the tags.i kept walking and the security guy held my arm.i told him to leave my hand.the lady showed me tags and said to give it back.i was too shocked and kept walking.it has been 2 days and I haven't heard anything.I am afraid that they will have my bank details and prosecute me.I am so scared and haven't told anybody about this.I thought I will go back and pay for the goods stolen but read online that they will call cops And prosecute me whereas if I don't go back I might have. A have to get away with this whole thing.Please guide me as to what to do.thanks

Not knowing the situation, but depending on what you mentioned and from my general knowledge (I am not in security or a police officer): did you pay for the goods by cash or a card? if a card, then I think they can get you, it is a matter of time. They have the statement of the employee and they can get your details from the card you used, it is a matter of time. It depends on how much you took and if they consider it worth it to pay the costs associated to go after you.

If the amount is low, they might just be aware about you when enter again and you will that you will be watched closely, but if the items you took is significant, it is a matter of time and you would be in more trouble than just when they caught you, as when they caught it, it would between you and them, they may not have called the police or take action, but now, the police will be involved (if they proceed). So it depends on the value of what you took.

I maybe wrong in this, but this is from my general understanding. If there is some else who has better knowledge, they can give more info. If you paid by cash, then take this as a good lesson, as it will be hard to after you with the employee's statement only.

I am sure you are young, if so, as mentioned to the other person, you are starting your adult life, don't make stupid mistakes that will effect your life dearly in a negative way. Be careful, it is not worth it,

Just curious, why Sephora, there are few people doing shoplifting from there?

Good luck!

Simpzy

20 July 2017
Thanks for your response. I did pay using my debit card. Also it was my first time so I wasn't sure where else to do it as I usually shop there. Could you please help by suggesting as to whether or not I should go back and pay fir those items. The things I took could be worth 200$ or less . Please suggest thanks

AllForHer

23 July 2014
For the record, if you are charged with stealing, whether you return/ed to pay for the goods or not will be considered immaterial, but it may reduce the penalty. You can do with that information what you will.