QLD Caught driving in a bus lane, no ticket given but could I receive a warning in the post?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JTP1995

2 September 2018
Happened in Queensland Australia.

After some confusion I found myself driving in the bus lane. A police officer came up behind me and flashed me. I pulled over. He asked why I was driving in a bus lane. I explained I was confused (it was a genuine mistake and I do think he could see this). He then asked where I was heading, I told him. I don't remember the exact words he used but basically that he wasn't going to give me a ticket and mentioned why it was a dangerous thing to do. The officer did not ask to look at my license or even ask for my name. The car I was driving was my bosses; so I am now worried there will be some follow up letter addressed to them (as the registered car owners). Would he take note of the car to make sure it wasn't caught doing the same thing again?

JTP1995

2 September 2018
another thing to mention is that a car was trying to pull into the road (we were blocking their escape). And he did say something like - I won't give you a ticket as someone is trying to get out. Potentially that was after he had already said he would not give me a ticket... But still no license details were taken? So could he send me a ticket without even knowing who I was or if i was registered on that car?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
Most properly rest assured that a ticket will not be issued. Although there few bad apples in the police officers but most are good guys, if the officer wanted to issue you a ticket the officer would have informed you, as it was a honest mistake and you explained that to the officer, then the officer was convinced it was a mistake and has given his advice (dangerous to drive in the bus lane).

If you receive a ticket (which I doubt you will), you can ask for a review and if you have a good driving record (no infringements/fins) of 10 years or more, you are on the safe side, fingers crossed.
Good luck!