VIC Pulled over, given a "warning" (no ticket) but received ticket in mail after?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Big C

1 May 2018
I've tried to look for similar cases but can't find any, apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.

So I got pulled over by a police car for driving an unregistered vehicle (rego expired a week earlier). After some discussion the officer allowed me the option to pay it right then (presumably online) using my phone but I explained that I didn't have the full amount to pay immediately, i would need to call someone to borrow money etc. He eventually agreed to let me just drive straight home and sort out my rego, and said if i was pulled over again (e.g. just drive off and not pay it, another police car pulls me over) i would get a ticket. Because i had an otherwise perfect record- no previous traffic fines, no criminal record, valid license, was polite and compliant to the officer. So i assumed i dodged a bullet, drove straight home and got my rego paid that day before driving again.

2 weeks later i check my PO box (all mail forwarded to it) and receive a handwritten infringement notice for that very day and offense, the envelope was handwritten addressed to me. The officer never said he would mail a ticket later, he gave me nothing, but basically worded it that i get the rego sorted immediately or risk getting a ticket if pulled over again. Had he just given me a ticket on the spot, or at least mention that he would mail it later, I would cop it on the chin.

So do i have any case to this? Can an officer just not issue a ticket when pulled over, basically give you a warning and let you go, but send the ticket in the mail anyway? Seems kinda a dick move.

Callmekayte

1 May 2018
No you don't have a case. You were driving unregistered and got a ticket, I don't know why he said he'd give you a warning and then sent the ticket but in any case I'm sure he'd deny saying so in court. I wouldn't bother wasting your or the courts time with this matter.

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
I think he was saying he would let you drive home, but if you got pulled over again, you could get another ticket..... that would be the case.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Or the officer could have been overruled later on by a more senior officer.... "Do i have to explain it again, we are not here to serve, we are here to collect"

Cobra1972

3 June 2018
Oh the old revenue raising chestnut..... Because People join the Police force because they want to raise revenue for the Government.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Oh the old revenue raising chestnut..... Because People join the Police force because they want to raise revenue for the Government.

You seem to have missed what is blatantly obvious.... People who join the police force may have their reasons, sure, but regardless of that, at the end of the day, they have to do what the boss (government) tells them to do. If the government wants to treat police as tax collectors then they treat them as tax collectors, what can police do? (Apart from the occasional strike)