WA Carers Leave Due to Wife's Pregnancy - Is Pregnancy Covered?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pohek1

30 March 2016
I had requested for Carers leave as I couldn't go back to work (I work away from home for 2 weeks at a time) 1 week prior to taking my planned parental leave as my partner and I were having my first baby. The reason why I requested this Carer's leave was because my partner was experiencing complications with her pregnancy, this was nothing new as she was going to the hospital clinics weekly for monitoring, etc.

As per the Fair Work Act 2009, it states an employee may take paid personal/carer’s leave if the leave is taken: (b) to provide care or support to a member of the employee’s immediate family, or a member of the employee’s household, who requires care or support because of: (i) a personal illness, or personal injury, affecting the member; or (ii) an unexpected emergency affecting the member

My employer has declined my carers leave request as they are saying pregnancy isn't covered under Carer's Leave, however, after reading "Sick Leave and Carers Leave - Personal leave in Australia" in the legal blog section of this website (Sick Leave and Carers Leave - Personal Leave in Australia - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au) it mentions the definition of illness includes 'stress and pregnancy related illness'.

Can someone please help me in regards to this whether or not pregnancy is covered under Carer's Leave and also if you can, where I can get something to say where the statement in the blog regarding 'illness includes stress and pregnancy related illness' was referenced from?

Thank you