Car Insurance Claim after Car Accident - Out of Pocket Expenses

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Justin

17 May 2014
My partner and I had just purchased a late model used car and on the second day we had the car another car crashed into it while it was parked. Whilst there is no disputing the fault of the other driver causing the car accident, my car insurance in not covering the total cost of the car and we are left out of pocket. I have spoken to the driver of the other car who I am told by my insurer is responsible for the remaining costs. He is refusing to pay these costs and I need to know what to do to them this back from him? Thank you.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Justin,
  1. Was the other driver insured?
  2. How have you contacted the other driver (informal, letter of demand, etc.) to request payment of the remaining costs?

Justin

17 May 2014
Hi John R,

Thank you for responding.

Yes he was insured however at this stage they are not claiming liability based on the fact that the accident was a result of a medical problem suffered by the driver. He is ok now.

I have spoken with him several times over the phone and via txt message.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Justin,
Have you considered sending a letter of demand to try and persuade the driver to pay the outstanding costs?
Most car insurers have letter of demand templates. For example, AAMI's sample letter of demand.