NT Car Hit by Colleague - Do I Need Car Insurance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Angelica

10 May 2016
Hi. I got t-boned by a colleague in the work car park 3 months ago. We went straight after that to the crash repairs and got a quote ($3600). Unfortunately, I didn't call the cops at the time because I thought he was going to do the right thing. We did do an accident report at work about it, though. It's now been 3 months and I've been trying to tell him at least 10 times to book my car in but nothing is happening!!

1. He tells me that I need to have car insurance. (Which I don't) Is that true?

2. He's refusing to give me his phone number and email address. And I'm pretty sure the address he has given me is incorrect. And I'm in the process of sending all the paper work into small claim court and they need that information. What do I do? Do I go to the police station and try to get them to come around to work?

3. He was driving his friend's car when the accident happened. He told me that his friend doesn't have car insurance but he had insurance on his car. So we put down the details for his car. What information do I give small claim court? The number plate of the car in the accident or the guy that hit me in the accidents own car?

4. What happens if he refuses to pay the court fees and he gets done guilty and I don't have car insurance. Will I still get my money/my car fixed?

5. He's planning on moving interstate soon. Should I try and hurry up with everything because of that?

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
It's too late to get car insurance after the fact. It will only cover you for accidents that occur after you've taken out the policy, not before.

It depends on who was at fault. You might need to have a chat with the police at this stage. However, if you don't have photos,his licence number and other details, it'll be an uphill battle.