QLD Car Finance - Is This Fraud?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gazza_036

15 February 2016
Hi, there.

I have acquired a car under finance from a dealer here in Queensland. During the process of gaining car finance, I was asked the usual questions of income vs expenditure to determine if I was eligible. I answered all questions truthfully and in the presence of a witness (my partner) and was told I would be given an answer the next day.

I was told I was approved and had the paperwork brought to my workplace to sign as it was the last day of the month and they were in a hurry to get it done. I signed the paperwork without reading it presuming he had used the details I gave him.

It wasn't until later that night when I had arrived home from work that I sat down and read the paperwork that I realised he had changed two pieces of information that would alter my eligibility for finance.

I have an existing bank loan which costs me $560 a month to maintain and on the paperwork this said $400. I also have one dependent child which I told him about but on the paperwork it said zero. I have since had to declare bankrupt and I am sure I would not have been eligible for finance had the information I supplied been written down accurately.

I am wondering if there is a law in Australia that protects consumers against signing paperwork presuming information supplied is relayed correctly.

Michael T

9 April 2014
Unless they were misleading or deceiving you, then I can't see how you could hold them to account. Ultimately, my understanding is that it was your responsibility to make sure that the information you provided and what you signed was correct.