NSW Dealership keeping deposit when finance fell through agter pre approval

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andyman86

16 March 2024
So I got accepted for finance. Found a car I liked. The dealership offered to take 250 off the original price, then refund me 250(500 deposit) to make the finance the amount I offered.
I put down the $500 deposit, I got sent all the required paperwork from my Broker, all signed and sorted out insurance on the vehicle.
Then on the final step, the lender backed out due to a miss communication.. I have two children, that I only pay child maintenance for, which they could see on my Centrelink statements. Also, my landlord is the boys mother, which is where I currently reside. I also have another address as I am a carer for my mother, but was told to put down the address on my license... After the lender contacted the landord, they decided against it, as my main address was there with the children.

Going forward with the car deposit, the dealership stated it was non refundable and the deposit needed to be paid for them to send the invoice, which was all done. Hence why I signed the required paperwork. But now the lender refused and I can longer get finance. Where do I stand on this, as I had to put down the deposit for them to send the invoice to the broker?

I'm just annoyed at the fact, I've potentially lost $500 due to the lender backing out

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Was the deal itself conditional upon you getting finance?

Andyman86

16 March 2024
Was the deal itself conditional upon you getting finance?
Hi Tim.
I'm not entirely sure. The finance company said all is good and once they get the invoice, they will send the paperwork to get signed, which I did.

I got nothing from my dealership or even heard back since I put down the deposit, they have my number and email.

It was done all over the phone where I paid my deposit using my card

Andyman86

16 March 2024
Hi Tim.
I'm not entirely sure. The finance company said all is good and once they get the invoice, they will send the paperwork to get signed, which I did.

I got nothing from my dealership or even heard back since I put down the deposit, they have my number and email.

It was done all over the phone where I paid my deposit using my card
I had to pay a deposit for them to send the invoice, as I was getting the 250 taken off the inital price.
I'm just really confused about the whole situation.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I suggest a visit to a Community Legal Centre for a bit of advice.

Reactions: Andyman86