Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

ACT Car Accident at CostCo - Am I Liable Under Traffic Law?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Connor Anthony Canlas, 20 November 2015.

1. Connor Anthony Canlas

Hi, while I was pushing my shopping cart at the parking of CostCo, I accidentally hit a reversing car which caused a small dent at its body just above the left rear tire. Am I liable for this under Traffic Law?

Thanks!

2. Louise4007

Louise4007 Well-Known Member

Hi Anthony

You could be liable for damages to the vehicle, therefore should the driver of the vehicle file a claim against you seeking damages for the accident, contact a lawyer ASAP.

Generally, because shopping centre car parks are not roads, the laws relating to accidents occurring in them do not fall under Traffic law, however a person whose property, in this case a car, has been damaged, may seek restitution if certain fault/causation elements of the incident are proven.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...