VIC Car Accident - Anyone Dealt with an RACV Assessment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ClareCoco

5 October 2017
Hello everyone,

My husband has recently been hit by a car insured with RACV. Both parties did not suffer injury. My husband has third party insurance with AAMI and since this is the other party's fault, he has been following up with RACV.

The assessor from Motor Loss had given him a call yesterday at 4.30pm informing him that the car is a write off and offered $8500 (2007 Camry Altise – additional accessories: tow bar, about 130,000km). He was told that he will need to start paying the storage fee from today onward. He advised my husband to send the car to the salvage company today.

However, RACV will only provide an official assessment report and offer on the coming Monday, which means we will need to absorb the storage fees for 5 days, if we were to wait for the assessment report (what is the offer based on, what is considered etc) to start the negotiation process. We believe we should entitle a bit more (please kindly let us know if your comment too, much appreciated) given that the average pricing for the car is about $8500 on car sales without the tow bar.

My questions are,

1) Shouldn't RACV pay for storage until an official assessment report has been provided/offered?

2) Is there any advantage for keeping the car in the storage until Monday or should we send the car off for salvage today to avoid being liable for the storage fees?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I'm not sure about the storage questions although I would probably put my foot down if I were you and negotiate with RACV to pay for the storage until the report is provided. Could you check with AAMI what their policy would be in this situation?

As for the price, Redbook value is $5,000 - $6,700 depending on the model. I think the $8,500 offer is reasonable. To give you an example, my 2012 Camry Atara (a model up from the Altise - it has things like reverse camera, touch screen, more powerful engine, fog lights, keyless entry, dual exhaust blah blah ), in excellent condition and similar km's (no towbar) was valued (by registered valuer for family law proceedings) at $9000 11 months ago. Carsales is full of dreamers putting high prices on their vehicles for sale. You don't actually get to see the real price they sell for.

Last edited:

Clancy

6 April 2016
Carsales IS full of dreamers? Not that much, although Honda owners for some unknown reason are off in Lala land big time and are by far the biggest price retards ever seen on planet Earth! Just never buy a Honda privately