Can I Use Annual Leave to Reduce Notice Period?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Miranda Kent

23 June 2018
More job switching questions:

My current contract requires 4 weeks' notice period, but what if I get a job offer that wants me to start in 2 weeks? Since I have more than 2 weeks of annual leave saved up, could I get around that by requesting that they keep the rest of my annual leave and let me quit 2 weeks early?

Thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is at the employer's discretion. Ask nicely and see what they say.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I suppose you could put in for annual leave, then once you are out the door, send in your notice, but that might piss them off.
Might be better to be honest and say you have another job offer.... who knows, they may offer to match the salary of the new job to keep you! And if not, well that is the nature of the free market labor economy, most employers accept that.

Miranda Kent

23 June 2018
I think they would at least try to match the new salary, but this job is a dead end so I wouldn't stay regardless. Do you think it would be acceptable to tell them they can have my annual leave if they'll let me leave early? (Yes, I hate this job THAT much).

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Well, if you leave early that's what they can legally do.

Most employers know that you need to give 4 weeks though so won't give you a 2 week start period.