NSW can I be held liable for anothers debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Simon123!

8 April 2020
Hi, due to mental health and terminal illness I am assisting a family member with sorting out some complex legal/debt issues. If I make a payment on their behalf can I then be made liable for the remainder of the debt? this debt is large, and has gotten out of control due to a long standing legal issue involving an Insurer who played smart evasive tactics for 10 years. That issue I have now resolved and am now helping this family member sort out the financial mess caused by the insurer. My concern though is this matter has now gone to their legal dept and they are simply not working with me to fix this - which could be done in a matter of weeks - I have been able to work through part of the debt (5 years worth) and want to make a sizable payment showing them I am serious, and detailing what I need from them to resolve the issue. They are not responding to my previous emails detailing what records I need, and have now frozen my family members accounts including the account their monthly living expenses are deposited into. I have full authority on the account with them and am worried they will then try to deduct the six figure balance from my bank accounts.....not sure if it matters but the debt is with a Govt Dept.