LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Can Grandparent Deny Parents Visitation Rights?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Parents want child back, 22 July 2016.

1. Parents want child back

Is it illegal for a grandparent to refuse access and visitation rights to both parents without any family court or community services order, regardless of how many times they have asked to see their child? Help me, please. I miss my son.

2. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

So how did grandparents find themselves as primary carer of your kid? Look, the answer is complex, but it really hinges on why grandparents are the primary carers because that alone is a bit rare.

3. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

This is a tricky situation because while ever there are no orders in place, there's also no legal grounds that a parent can rely on to enforce the time they spend with their kids.

Equally, when there's no rules, there's also no rules for you, so technically, you can simply go and collect the kids from school one day and decide they're not living with their grandparents anymore.

Are the kids living with their mother and the grandparents, or just the grandparents?