Can Ex Ask for a Second Lot of Spousal Maintenance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
23 February 2015
At the time of financial and property settlement, final orders granted my ex spousal maintenance of $250 a week for three years. This time is almost up but she has hinted she might ask for another period of time. Is this even possible, and if so how likely to succeed?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
So the final orders were made nearly 3 years ago - after divorce or breakdown of a de facto relationship?

She would need special permission of the court (which is not easily granted) to be able to apply for any further spousal maintenance and would have to jump through a few legal hoops - see Spousal Maintenance - Family Court of Australia for detailed information.

And is she in another relationship now or married again? Then that would mean that she should have decreased reliance on your spousal maintenance. I don't like her chances. However, if she does try to take you on, get legal advice at that time.

DadonaMission

3 July 2015
My ex is going for spousal maintenance. Can you please explain some of the financial circumstances surrounding the case? Why was she granted spousal maintenance? The lawyers I'm speaking with say that it is very difficult for my ex to obtain. True?