LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Can a Seller Refuse to Provide a Second Receipt?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by JonL, 17 May 2015.

1. JonL

JonL Member

If the seller claims to have provided me with a receipt at the time of purchase, can he later, that same day, refuse to provide me with another receipt copy under Australian consumer law? I went into a store later in the day as I didn't get a receipt originally and asked him if he could provide me with one—"the machine only prints it once," he said.

I asked if he could write one manually on paper with the date and time of purchase—"I can't remember when you came in and even if you did" he said. What could I do in this situation? (apart from fuming with an impotent anger).

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi JonL,

1. What do you need the receipt for?
    2. Did you pay with cash or card?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JonL

JonL Member

Hi Ivy,

1. I needed it show I was in the shop at approximately 1-2 p.m.. I received a parking fine and the receipt would have been evidence that a 4 hour parking ticket was physically impossible.
    2. Cash payment of ~$3.

The issue itself was resolved as my car is GPS tracked and the infringement was waived, but I'm curious: if I didn't have a GPS-tracked car, could I have actually done anything?