VIC Can a Seller Refuse to Provide a Second Receipt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JonL

17 May 2015
If the seller claims to have provided me with a receipt at the time of purchase, can he later, that same day, refuse to provide me with another receipt copy under Australian consumer law? I went into a store later in the day as I didn't get a receipt originally and asked him if he could provide me with one—"the machine only prints it once," he said.

I asked if he could write one manually on paper with the date and time of purchase—"I can't remember when you came in and even if you did" he said. What could I do in this situation? (apart from fuming with an impotent anger).

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi JonL,

1. What do you need the receipt for?
2. Did you pay with cash or card?

JonL

17 May 2015
Hi Ivy,

1. I needed it show I was in the shop at approximately 1-2 p.m.. I received a parking fine and the receipt would have been evidence that a 4 hour parking ticket was physically impossible.
2. Cash payment of ~$3.

The issue itself was resolved as my car is GPS tracked and the infringement was waived, but I'm curious: if I didn't have a GPS-tracked car, could I have actually done anything?