QLD Bullying Neighbours

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pirate

18 March 2022
My 70 year old male neighbour seems to think he can bully my husband and I. This morning he came to our from door and aggressively said that the sprinkler I had on in my yard was wetting and rotting his caravan that has been in weather and hasn't moved for 5 years. Prior to this I hadn't spoken to him for months. This is causing us a lot of stress.

Atticus

6 February 2019
The simple solution would be to just arrange your sprinkler so that's it's not wetting his property.

Plenty of people would be pi**ed if their neighbors sprinkler was wetting their car, caravan or whatever. Even if it's it's old & not covered doesn't alter the fact that he has a legitimate grievance.

Pirate

18 March 2022
The simple solution would be to just arrange your sprinkler so that's it's not wetting his property.

Plenty of people would be pi**ed if their neighbors sprinkler was wetting their car, caravan or whatever. Even if it's it's old & not covered doesn't alter the fact that he has a legitimate grievance.

Doesn't give the right to verbally abuse us. If he was nice about it, I wouldn't have minded as I didn't realise it was watering his property.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
No, it doesn’t give him the ‘right’ to verbally abuse you. But he does have the privilege of being in a society that allows for relatively open and unrestrained discourse between people. As long as he doesn’t overstep the bounds of what the law requires, he can be upset about something and express that dissatisfaction accordingly. It doesn’t mean he’s right, or that you have to listen to it.

Social courtesy might indicate that you should place your sprinkler so that it doesn’t wet his property. However, there is a difference between getting a caravan wet - which as you pointed out sits outside in the weather anyway - and getting something wet that could be actually impacts by some water (e.g. a freshly painted fence). Also the type of water may be relevant - if you were using bore water that might stain whatever it falls on, for instance. None of that is apparent here, I’m just giving some rounding to the potential situation. What could be directly relevant is some particular aspect of that caravan at that moment which would indicate that a fear of rotting is relevant; such as him working on it in otherwise fine weather to repair/restore something where water penetration is a factor. Again, I don’t know, but in the absence of that sort of factor it would certainly appear his conduct is unreasonable. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ability to act that way. There are often consequences to being unreasonable, but in the situation there is no obligation to be reasonable.

The question becomes, at least in my mind, why is he acting this way? Is this simply the latest in a long string of unreasonable behaviours? If not, what has caused this? It may be that his reaction to the water on the caravan is an outward sign of something else that’s going on in his life causing him stress. It may not be about the water at all. There may be something going on in his life that he’s merely reacting to. If he’s usually a cantankerous old goat, fine. If not, it might be worth making peace, apologising for the sprinkler (without acknowledging his argument), and asking if everything is okay - not because you’ve necessarily done anything wrong, but because you are neighbours and it is in everyone’s best interests that you both get along.

I think the simple fact (and tragedy) is that people go from 0-100 on the aggression meter too quickly. Stop, take a second, and find out what’s really going on. If it really is war, then fine. If it’s not, then having a cooler head about things can stop the situation progressing to a much harder, and more stressful, situation to deal with.

Pirate

18 March 2022
No, it doesn’t give him the ‘right’ to verbally abuse you. But he does have the privilege of being in a society that allows for relatively open and unrestrained discourse between people. As long as he doesn’t overstep the bounds of what the law requires, he can be upset about something and express that dissatisfaction accordingly. It doesn’t mean he’s right, or that you have to listen to it.

Social courtesy might indicate that you should place your sprinkler so that it doesn’t wet his property. However, there is a difference between getting a caravan wet - which as you pointed out sits outside in the weather anyway - and getting something wet that could be actually impacts by some water (e.g. a freshly painted fence). Also the type of water may be relevant - if you were using bore water that might stain whatever it falls on, for instance. None of that is apparent here, I’m just giving some rounding to the potential situation. What could be directly relevant is some particular aspect of that caravan at that moment which would indicate that a fear of rotting is relevant; such as him working on it in otherwise fine weather to repair/restore something where water penetration is a factor. Again, I don’t know, but in the absence of that sort of factor it would certainly appear his conduct is unreasonable. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the ability to act that way. There are often consequences to being unreasonable, but in the situation there is no obligation to be reasonable.

The question becomes, at least in my mind, why is he acting this way? Is this simply the latest in a long string of unreasonable behaviours? If not, what has caused this? It may be that his reaction to the water on the caravan is an outward sign of something else that’s going on in his life causing him stress. It may not be about the water at all. There may be something going on in his life that he’s merely reacting to. If he’s usually a cantankerous old goat, fine. If not, it might be worth making peace, apologising for the sprinkler (without acknowledging his argument), and asking if everything is okay - not because you’ve necessarily done anything wrong, but because you are neighbours and it is in everyone’s best interests that you both get along.

I think the simple fact (and tragedy) is that people go from 0-100 on the aggression meter too quickly. Stop, take a second, and find out what’s really going on. If it really is war, then fine. If it’s not, then having a cooler head about things can stop the situation progressing to a much harder, and more stressful, situation to deal with.
For some reason he's just taken a dislike to us and causes trouble whenever he can. He's not able to physically manage the caravan anymore so it just sits and deterates with green mild due to rain.