NSW Bicycle not stop at red light

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JedBartlet

9 March 2022
I was recently issued this fine. It was mentioned today and now I have a hearing date in September. 10 months after the incident!

I was cycling in Sydney. I was approaching a red light, but I had reached my destination. There are lines for where you are meant to stop and where the pedestrian crossing is. I went up the ramp onto the footpath. This was at the start of the pedestrian crossing. I didn't go through the red light as I was transitioning to becoming a pedestrian and the footpath ramp was exactly at the line where the pedestrian crossing commenced.

The other point I will raise is the police officer was on the opposite side of the traffic light and could not possibly see what light was facing me.

I ran this by the duty solicitor at court and he advised me to proceed to hearing.

sammy01

27 September 2015
mate I am a cyclist. It is stunts like this that give reason for idiots in cars to try to kill us. Pay the fine.
To explain. You said you were approaching a red light. So you're gonna argue the cop could not possibly see that the light was red? but it was red. Could the cops see the other vehicles were stopped? Yup and the light was red. After all you said so yourself..... So the light was red. The light was red. The cops recokon you went through the red light tha was red. Not green, orange or blue. RED. But the fact it was red doesn't matter in your argument? wow. Not really winning this one are you?

Now when you say you were 'transitioning to being a pedestrian".... GEE I hope you mean you dis-mounted your bike... But I can only speculate based on what you've written and it sounds like you were still on the bike. Even if you were not. How does it look? Bloke on a bike wants to use the road when it suits. Bloke on a bike wants to be a pedestrian when it suits.

Next time someone throws something at me or yells at me when I'm out riding. I'll think of you...

DavidI

20 November 2018
Also, an adult can not use the foot path while on the bicycle (only children of 11 years old or younger. You have to be on the road and the bicycle is treated as a vehicle, so you have to follow the road rules.