NSW Banned from Bar - Legal under Australian Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 August 2015
Hey guys. Thanks in advance for your time. Here's the story. I was banned from a bar in 2012 for finding my way into a washing machine that was in the hotel. The laundry was through a rear entrance to the bar, the entrance was not locked. I know it was a stupid move but I can't change that now. So I tried to return to the bar this year and the manager said I was banned and unable to return. There was little to no damage to the machine itself, It was used again the next day, and there was never any charge laid.

My question is, is this ban legal under Australian Law? Does the manager have a right to never allow me to return to this bar?

S

Sophea

Hi Marcus,

Under the Liquor Act and the common law there are several options available to licensees to deal with patrons who cause trouble. They are within their rights to refuse entry to a patron, remove a patron from their premises bar a patron for an extended period of time or seek a formal banning order against them.

These guidelines have been developed to regulate banning protocols for venues:
http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/accords/RefusalOfEntry.pdf

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My question is, is this ban legal under Australian Law?
Yes (although it NSW law, not Commonwealth law).
Does the manager have a right to never allow me to return to this bar?
Yes.

In short and simple, you've got nothing to work with and nowhere to go.
You're out of this venue for good.