QLD Backpay From New Enterprise Agreement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

vivoactive3

6 December 2018
Hi everyone,

Just posting to find out about the legalities of what my company is doing. I am very uneducated when it comes to the laws regarding.

My company's enterprise agreement recently ended on the 31st of July this year and they only have finalised the new agreement which still has not come into effect yet. In this new enterprise agreement, they have increased pay rates in general and for certain days.

Since this agreement is not in effect yet, I have obviously not received these increased pay rates. From my understanding this agreement was meant to come into effect by July 1 but they have been slow about the whole process.

This leads me and many of my colleagues to believe that we would be getting backpaid for the time since July 1 but my company has stated that they will not be back paying us and the agreement will 'probably' come into effect January 1 2019. So, up to now and going forward we are currently under no agreement.

Is it illegal to not back pay us? Or are we just all going crazy that the company would do something like this to us?

Thanks to anyone that can answer my question.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What is this 'new agreement'?

Is this a new enterprise agreement? If so talk to your reps organising the agreement. I can't see backpay owing unless there is something written down somewhere giving that right.

vivoactive3

6 December 2018
What is this 'new agreement'?

Is this a new enterprise agreement? If so talk to your reps organising the agreement. I can't see backpay owing unless there is something written down somewhere giving that right.

Hey

Yes, sorry, this is a new enterprise agreement.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
OK. Find out who your reps are union, or staff, and ask them in the first instance.

EA's are a real pain for employees wanting to update their agreements.