QLD Australian Law - Can I Sue a Legal Firm?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
3 May 2017
In 1995, a prominent lawyer had an affair with my married mother (this lawyer was also married). This affected his ability to focus on her case and she was sentenced. The consequences of his affair was unjustly taken out on myself as I was born just after the affair. And have been abused and have suffered extensive emotional distress.

I want to sue his firm, do I have grounds to sue upon under Australian Law? This lawyer has tried to intimidate me and bully me into backing away.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
An area like this is complex and not suitable for a forum. You really need advice that is based on very specific personal details you disclose to a lawyer. In theory it may be possible but requires more than emotional distress - you need a diagnosed medical condition.

I can see how a lawyer may accuse you of blackmail/extortion if you try to ruin his career if not paid 'compensation'.

You may benefit more from counselling rather than pursuing legal action.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
There are so many variables in a matter such as this, from an ethical standpoint a relationship with a client may lead to lack of independence and potentially mislead the court. If you don't decide to pursue any action against the lawyer - Assuming you have proof you could explore the avenue of making a complaint Legal Services Commission.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL