WA Australian Institute of Fitness wont let me cancel without psying the full course

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JamesReynoldo

25 May 2018
I very recently started part time study at the institute. We are only 3 weeks in before I decided its not for me and would like to cancel. When asking about a cancellation they said I would have to pay the full course.
I feel its a bit odd that there is no option to cancel the course before 30 days of trying it? Is there anyway I can get out of this. I dont want a refund just to be released and not forced to pay so much. Im not working so its a major financial drain

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
AIF publish that they have a cooling off period of 'up to 10 days', which ends when the course starts. There is no further information I can find about what happens after that.

They've already done some work and allocated some resources, so you should be liable to pay for some of it. However, a full payment is unreasonable. I'd suggest going to them, telling them that paying the whole course amount is unreasonable and could put them in breach of the unfair contracts terms provisions in the Australian Consumer Law, and negotiate a fair amount for their losses from the work they've had to do. If they won't come to the party, make a complaint to the ACCC.