NSW Australian Consumer Law Rights Regarding Car Contract?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Krissy Fenn

20 November 2016
We purchased an ex-demo car from a dealership in 2013 that we were told (and the contract clearly states) was a 2012 build. It was also registered in REVS as such. However, when we have come to trade in the car, the dealership that we were trading with told us that the plates on our car had it as a 2011 build.

This would have impacted the original price that we were prepared to pay back in 2013, as well as the fact that there is now a massive disparity between what the finance company is owed and what the car is worth.

Can anyone please tell me what our Australian Consumer Law rights are in terms of this contract? What, if anything, is the original dealership required to do to rectify this situation? Does it void the original contract?

I found on the LawAnswers site that when buying a second hand car from a dealer, the description of the motor vehicle is required to be accurate.

Any assistance would be gratefully received! Please help if I have logged this on the incorrect forum.