QLD Australian Consumer Law - Rights on Bag Checks?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Camera

30 August 2014
Brisbane
Some stores have a statement in front of their store windows that they reserve the rights to check all customers' bags and some have security guards or staff standing in front of the store to check all bags no matter how big it is.

Please give us advice as a customer what is our legal rights under Australian Consumer Law in this kind of situation. Some are very nice while asking to check our bags, but some are really rude. I really don't want them to check my small bag if they are rude.

I was told that as a customer, I have the right not to open my bag. If I do so, then it will be stuck because once entered their store we agreed for them to check our bag but they can't check it while I don't open it!

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Camera,

It isn't anything to do with consumer law as such but it is bluff on the part of the store asking to check bags. You don't have to, you can't be forced to. What happens as far as their response is concerned is another thing.

Paul.

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Reactions: Ivy