VIC Australian Consumer Law - Is Customer Entitled to Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Your vet or theirs?

ianaglyphred

8 February 2016
Our vet offered paperwork to my wife, who took it. But the seller declined it
I meant, our vet.

He sexes his snakes himself, we believe. So at the end of the day, it could be him trying to scam us. He also wants 100% guarantee on the sex of the animals plus the colour of them also.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Suspect ACL will apply as a commercial licence is involved.

But either way, ACL or common law, I don't think the sellers have to be concerned. An honest mistake is not applicable, there has not been a guarantee as to sex, buyer proceeded with sale knowing this. This is also likely to rule out the unilateral mistake. Sellers have not been deceptive (ie no misleading and deceptive conduct).

Determining the sex of snakes at a young age is not easy hence why sellers didn't guarantee the sex despite getting a Vet report. If the buyer relied on a vet report he never saw and refused to see, and which the sellers qualified, then the buyer is unlikely to be successful. Can't see equity helping the buyer as he knew, or should have known, about the difficulty of sexing snakes.

Reactions: ianaglyphred

ianaglyphred

8 February 2016

But either way, ACL or common law, I don't think the sellers have to be concerned. Honest mistake is not applicable, there has not been a guarantee as to sex, buyer proceeded with sale knowing this. This is also likely to rule out unilateral mistake. Sellers have not been deceptive (ie no misleading and deceptive conduct).

Determining the sex of snakes at a young age is not easy hence why sellers didn't guarantee the sex despite getting a Vet report. If the buyer relied on a vet report he never saw and refused to see, and which the sellers qualified, then the buyer is unlikely to be successful. Can't see equity helping the buyer as he knew, or should have known, about the difficulty of sexing snakes.

Thank you. This is what we suspected but wanted outside opinion

We also discovered that it is actually a 'mate' of his that sexes his snakes. So a qualified vet vs a mate - not a good look.

Thank you for all your replies. You have been very helpful. We are going to tell the buyer very politely the facts and then where to go (not literally), but we will cease all communication with him.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney

Not sure that a PWL is a commercial licence?
I say that because there is a separate Commercial Wildlife Licence, of which there are several classes, including one for dealers.
Do we know the type of licence the seller has?
In any event, having a commercial licence is not per se probative of being in trade or commerce
for the purposes of the ACL.
For that, I'd also be looking for other indicators of being in business - such as those used by the ATO.

ianaglyphred

8 February 2016
Not sure that a PWL is a commercial licence?
I say that because there is a separate Commercial Wildlife Licence, of which there are several classes, including one for dealers.
Do we know the type of licence the seller has?
In any event, having a commercial licence is not per se probative of being in trade or commerce
For that, I'd also be looking for other indicators of being in business - such as those used by the ATO.

All private sales, all reptile licence holders have to do is submit paperwork for import/export to other states and wait for approval to send with the required flight paperwork.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
ACL probably not in play then.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

True. But regardless of which law is applied, ACL or common law/equity, I can't see the sellers being at fault.