NSW Asset split on divorce for my personal circumstances

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hangover

11 January 2023
So I’m the primary bread winner and also happen to be the primary care giver (I think) of 2 young kids. Partner is wanting separation/divorce. I’m roughly 15 years away from retirement. And my partner is still young and has more than 30 years before retirement. I own my property and have accumulated a lot of savings while my partner barely has any assets. After tax my partner makes about 70% of what I’m making. Has anyone gone through or heard of a similar scenario and if so advise how much the asset split was on separation?

sammy01

27 September 2015
there are other factors. How long you've been together is a signficant one... So in my case we were together about 8 yrs. I had 15 yrs full time work so substantial super.... The super I had prior to the relationship was accepted as mine (kinda). So while I still got taken for a ride it wasn't all that bad...

But it is hard to advise with limited detail - how long you're together, is one, arrangements for kids, etc etc. Your age matters. the ex has more time to earn $$ in super than you, for example.

Hangover

11 January 2023
there are other factors. How long you've been together is a signficant one... So in my case we were together about 8 yrs. I had 15 yrs full time work so substantial super.... The super I had prior to the relationship was accepted as mine (kinda). So while I still got taken for a ride it wasn't all that bad...

But it is hard to advise with limited detail - how long you're together, is one, arrangements for kids, etc etc. Your age matters. the ex has more time to earn $$ in super than you, for example.
Married for close to 7 years. We only knew each other for a short period of time before that. Roughly what percentage of your super was taken from you if you don’t mind.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So we finally sorted assets and kids ourselves. It was a blood bath. But still managed to stay out of court.... What might be of interest to you was that one of the factors that worked in my favour was I agreed to keep most of my super, meanwhile she got most of the cash from the sale of the house. But because I have to wait to get old to access the super and I am at the risk of the markets BUT she got the cash now and as such she could use the cash to do what ever - hence I was disadvantaged and that was another reason for a few more pennies to come my way.

Look, no two cases are the same. But as a rough guide in my case she got about 60%.... That was based on me having a substantially higher earning capacity, she was going to be the primary carer of 3 young kids and while I brought in substantial super, she had about the same as cash from an inheritance...
But even at that she got about 20% of my super, all the proceeds from the sale of the family home and all the furniture etc..

Hangover

11 January 2023
Thanks for that. It’s just the house is worth 4x what my super is at the moment. I have higher earning capacity in the relationship but also primary care giver given I have a work from home arrangement since the pandemic while my partner has to work onsite 4x a week and usually weekends.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hey,
look the laws around separation are pretty good. The problem arises when one person thinks that divorce is a cash grab. Just because Angelina Jollie got millions out of Brad Pitt does not mean my ex is gonna get millions out of me. I still have a letter somehowere that tates the ex wanted 105% (yup) of the assets. She got about 60% and that was fair. Sadly.... WE both blew about $50 000 each on solicitors and that seriously impacted the size of the asset pool.

My advice - handing over 5% more to stay out of court is a good idea if you can achieve it.