QLD Assault Complaint After No Action from Police - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

r1

11 December 2016
[Removed by Moderator - Community Guidelines]

A month ago, [Moderated "government officer"] arrived to advise invaders of the HASP unit in our block they had to leave as the new keys were being cut the next morning. Then he had a conversation with me in close proximity to the invaders and which they overheard. In the conversation, he revealed my complainant status, that I had been ringing the police and keeping the department informed. The invaders reacted to this before he left, threatening me that I should shut up.

Half an hour later, I leave my unit to go to the shop, they chase me down the road and attacked me. I broke my hand defending myself. Police convince me a PN charge was more effective in court than an assault complaint, so minutes after the assault I'm still in huge shock, trusting the police will do what they said they would and I signed his notepad feeling a bit conned but seeing the sense of what they where saying.

But now I'm feeling disillusioned by it all. The police haven't moved on the PN charges, it's a month later. There were witnesses that saw the chase down and had a ringside to the attack yet no witness statements have been collected, police have said.

So now I want to make a assault complaint. I've written out my statement, much more detailed than the above, but I'm worried I may say something incriminating simply because I have used the wrong words or described something in the wrong manner.

Last week, I rang five solicitors for help making the statement. Most of their answers were along the lines me being charged first before they can help. I offered to pay some, not that I could afford it, yet the answer was the same...I've tried the community lawyers, the NWNF lot, all no-go...

I have no funds. Two years ago, I tried to get away from the violence here. I cashed my superannuation, then crashed on the way home on an un-gazetted road, so no insurance - 30K down the drain. Now a broken hand...

I don't know what to do now. I don't even know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sophea

I've written out my statement, much more detailed than the above, but I'm worried I may say something incriminating simply because I have used the wrong words or described something in the wrong manner.

I don't think you have too much to worry about re: this. As long as you describe the events truthfully and to the best of your ability and provided that you acted lawfully in the circumstances you are describing you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Police can always question you further on aspects that are unclear.

r1

11 December 2016
Sophea, your sense of timing is superb, have today not long mailed off the the only and final draft

S

Sophea

Good to hear, hope it achieves your purpose and you can get some justice.